29 August 2010

writing outside the box: a guest post!

After a busy summer that led to slacking on many things including this blog, I've been trying to ramp up my writing efforts again. One method that has helped was setting a goal for myself to write 500 words/day. This was the same goal I gave myself when struggling through writing my graduate thesis. It works well for me because 500 words is short enough to be manageable, and usually once I've started I end up surpassing the goal. I count any kind of writing ~ some days at work I end up writing a lot, or I might write in a personal journal that I don't have to worry about sharing. But hopefully this means more blog posts, too.

And, to get myself more excited about blogging, I worked up the nerve to submit a few guest posts to some favorite bloggers who were looking for new submissions. I am very excited to say that today my guest post is featured on Marta Writes! I am a big fan of this blog because of Marta's great writing style and the way she encourages everyone to tell their own story, as she shares her own. This has been a great way to challenge myself to think outside my normal writing rut routine ~ getting feedback and making connections with other bloggers is really great motivation! Thanks Marta for featuring me!

4 comments:

  1. thank you eileen.. i loved having you guest post. your advice is simply perfect. and a bit easier for me than others!! keep up the writing. i like the 500 word idea. brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great post! Glad I found your blog through it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved your guest post on marta's blog. it was a really unique 'how-to!' and i loved that you included a recommendation for the book, The Center of Everything. it's one of my favorites!

    p.s. thanks for your fabulous comment on MY guest post, by the way! i'm so inspired by your 500 words/day goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello eileen! thanks for your nice comment on my blog. you inspired me to write a Q&A post about camping out including my best tips. i hope it helps you gear up for some adventures of your own.

    thanks for reading and saying hello.

    ReplyDelete