On Monday in yoga class, the yoga instructor read this poem during savasana ("corpse pose" ~ the bit at the end of class where you get to lie on the ground, eyes closed... one of the best parts of class!) that resonated with the camping experience~
the peace of the wild thingsWhen despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
~Wendell Berry
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
~Wendell Berry
it's true ~ it's so peaceful to escape from the city and enjoy nature for a bit. Even just sitting by the lake can have a calming effect. It's a method that has helped me through a few bad days at work over the years. Seems like our anniversary gift is going to work out pretty well, after all :)
No comments:
Post a Comment