19 August 2010

smoothie goodness

One issue that I have with half-marathon training is that so much running means I find myself always hungry. Blame it on homeostasis ~ my body is burning more calories, so it revs up my hunger drive in hopes of replenishing those calories. Annoying, if you'd like to see some net weight loss :)

I am not the best at dealing with that hunger, and use training as an excuse to have less than healthy snacks. But I can get away with it because of all the running, and maybe even still lose a few pounds. Now that I've stopped training, though, I'm trying to break the bad habits that I formed by all those post-long run snacks.

My current weapon: smoothies! I love the abundance of fresh fruit that's available in the summer. I find that blending them up into a smoothie is a refreshing treat after dinner ~ and keeps me from munching on less healthy foods. Plus, they actually keep me feeling full and energized!

image from here

My smoothie making tips:
1. use frozen bananas! I cut some up, stick in a ziplock bag, and keep in the freezer. They give smoothies a thick creamy consistency similar to adding ice cream ~ but much healthier!
2. Try a green smoothie, to cut down on sugar. By this, I mean, start off by blending some spinach, and then add in your fruit. May sound unappetizing, and might look a bit scary too ~ but the sugar in the fruit masks the spinach so you don't even taste it! Play around with the amounts, to see what tastes best for you.

2 comments:

  1. hey, if you put spinach in, you don't get that weird skidding feeling on your teeth, do you? i do when i eat just straight up spinach.

    frozen banana = really awesome idea. i will try it.

    did we ever make smoothies in our apartment in evanston? i had a smoothie phase but i think it was after i went to opto school...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember you making me a smoothie when I came over for dinner at your place downtown, so I think you're right that your phase was post-evanston.

    don't know about a skidding feeling on teeth. you do have to blend for awhile though. I start with spinach and water and then make sure it's blended really well. It will look/smell kinda gross at this point but after adding fruit it's ok! And the smoothie will look bright green (well depending on the fruit; berries make it darker) which can be a bit odd. But I like them, they make me feel healthy :)

    ReplyDelete