01 November 2010

new writing experiment

a few years ago I read about National Novel Writing Month ~ basically a challenge to write a novel during the month of November, by writing every day of the month. It really intrigued the writer-wannabe in me, and I've contemplated trying it at some point. I kind of had it in my head to do this in 2010... but feel this need to have a plan of some sort in place before I'd be able to commit to this. By plan, I mean, some semblance of a plot or theme or outline of what kind of novel I'd write. Now November is here and I totally forgot to come up with a plan... and it is not feeling very realistic for me!

However, I'm thinking that instead maybe I'll try a less-intensive experiment with my blog and see if I can manage to write something every day. Yes ~ that's quite a big jump given my current average of just a couple times per month! But I started this blog just over a year ago, so it seems kind of fitting to do something to shake things up in honor of a full year of blogging!

This will be a pretty big challenge for me and I'm fully aware that I may slip up. But it would be great to get into a habit of blogging more frequently. To make it a bit more practical, I thought maybe I'd use the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday as inspiration, and use a gratitude theme ~ so, if I can't think of anything at all to write, I can at least jot down something that I'm grateful for at the moment. I have done some gratitude journaling in the past and it can really help me to cultivate a more positive mindset. Hopefully having this kind of prompt will both reduce that "what can I possibly write today" feeling, while reviving my outlook on life!

So here goes, starting things off ~ today I'm grateful for working with colleagues who have also become amazing friends! We went out for a birthday dinner tonight and had rousing discussions ranging from theoretical physics to politics to shopping... good times!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck!! I'm doing the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! very cool that you are also participating. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Keep the posts coming and we'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete