10 December 2009

weather relativity

It is so so cold here today. I do not like these days when the temperatures dip below zero and it is physically painful to be outside. If I could have my way, I would just not go outside at all on these days. If I could just do my work from home and not have to face the wintery winds that chill to the bone, it would be easier. But there are lab meetings to attend and papers to revise and experiments to help with. So I have to trudge through the weather to and from the train. It is draining. Even inside, it feels like the condo just cannot get warm. The furnace keeps chugging away, trying to burn some warmth inside, but the insulation is lacking against these harsh conditions. And it’s just little old me here, just one small body producing heat. Maybe I’d be better at handling these cold days if my husband was here to help warm me up with his hugs. He is generous with his body heat; he always lets me warm my cold hands against the hot skin of his back.

I know I am being excessively negative right now. This weather has come so suddenly, and I guess I am not ready for it. Not that I ever really am. But it’s the whole relativity thing… November was unusually warm. Then within a span of one week, it’s become excessively cold. The average high for December 10 is 38°F; the average low is 22°F. Today, the high was 15°F and we didn’t hit that until after 6 pm; the low was 8! Just 8! That’s not including windchills, which were on the order of -15. Such a drastic swing in such a short amount of time makes the cold feel even colder, I think. It is hard not to get whiney when I just.can’t.get.warm.

But I should try looking on the bright side. It will be back in the 30s this weekend. And thanks to relativity, after feeling this extreme cold, those temperatures will feel downright balmy! I am grateful that the cold front is fairly short lived, at least. The lake has not even frozen so it can’t be that bad. The snow we got this week looks like powdered sugar has been dusted over everything. There is just the right amount to look pretty and not be inconvenient. My husband will come home tonight, assuming his flights go well, and will sneak in like a ninja in an attempt not to wake me (assuming I am sleeping by 1 am) and I will get to wake up with him tomorrow. And after next week, we will have 17 whole days together! Cannot wait. This weekend is also looking good ~ plans to decorate the Christmas tree, and spending time with friends.

Warmer days are ahead. For now, time to burrow under the duvet, where I will hopefully find some relief from the cold, and a bit of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment