14 December 2009

free Christmas tunes

This past weekend I’ve started on my kick of listening to Christmas music to set the mood of the season. I have my old favorites (I will never get tired of the Nutcracker suite!), though it can get old listening to the same songs over and over. Pandora works well sometimes, but for me it has been a bit hit-or-miss in terms of holiday music ~ the station I quickly made while wrapping gifts yesterday was pretty good, but for some reason when I tried listening to it at work today, it kept playing really annoying songs.

To add some new material to my playlist, I was excited to find some free mp3 Christmas music downloads offered by iTunes and Amazon. These are also a bit hit-or-miss, but there are some good ones ~ the iTunes album includes some of my favorites like Sarah McLachlan’s "Silent Night" and "Greensleeves" from the Charlie Brown Christmas, as well as some I hadn’t heard that were quite good, like Wheezer’s “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”. I was also amused to find Stephen Colbert’s “Another Christmas Song”. I didn’t download all of the Amazon mp3s, but I did like the Jars of Clay version of “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”. If you are looking for some new Christmas songs, check it out – the price is definitely right!

3 comments:

  1. At the BNL concert, they played "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." When it came to Sarah McLachlan's part, Ed said something like "ladies and gentlement, here's our special guest, Sarah McLachlan." As he turned to the stage entrance, the band members looked confused. Then Ed said, "I wish...wouldn't that have been awesome."

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! nice. That's definitely one of my favorites - I used it to make my Pandora holiday station :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea, i will take a look! i also love the nutcracker, and i love old christmas songs by jazzy artists, like "baby it's cold outside" by ella fitzgerald (one of my absolute favorites), "white christmas" by bing crosby, and "the christmas song" by frank sinatra. they are so pleasant to listen to over and over, and not insanely cheesy like most christmas music. i can't even go into the mall at christmas, they insist on playing the worst of the worst!

    ReplyDelete