On Thursday morning I flew to Chicago for an amazing 4 days back in the city. After an uneventful though extremely early flight, I made my way through the familiar trek from O’Hare to the El. The bustling of the city instantly energized me as I stepped out onto the streets of downtown forty five minutes later. It was 40 degrees colder and I had forgotten my jacket in the rush of the very early morning, but even the chill didn’t stop me from smiling out into the street. I reveled in the comfort of the familiar sights and sounds. It had been six months since I stood on those streets, but it still felt like home.
Crowded sidewalks. Lights. Cars. The rattling thunder of the el. “Doors closing.” A brilliant blue sky pierced by towering buildings. A green river weaving its way through the middle of it all. A glittering lake on the edge that stretches out as far as you can see. The lakeside path that is constantly crowded with runners and bikers. I missed it more than I realized.
I missed the convenience of having so many options for shops and restaurants and bars right there. Show up downtown without a jacket on a chilly day at 9 am? Not a problem! Swing into Forever 21 on your way to work and grab a cute little $30 red coat. Long hours – yes, I miss having access to stores and restaurants for such a large portion of night and day.
I missed the walking – we walked everywhere. Such a great way to travel, by the power of your own feet. Of course we also took taxis and trains and buses, easily jumping on and off without even needing to purchase tickets (I never even took my Chicago card out of my wallet, a small bit of the city that I continue to carry around, even though there’s not much use for it living so far away).
my old building is right behind these ones
I missed the energy of that city vibe that comes from so many people and businesses packed into the space. I walked into my old workplace ~ a rehabilitation hospital ~ and instantly was back in that world of science. Seeing the patients ~ they always were the reminders of exactly why it is that I do the work that I do, however difficult and frustrating it may be. I took the elevator up to the research floor, and walked past the same research posters detailing exciting projects. I walked into my old lab and was greeted with the same familiar faces, along with the crazy equipment ~ a huge motor, a robot, big camera systems, and so many computers. In my new company, lots of highly advanced and important science happens, but you wouldn’t know it if you stepped into the building. Instead you find small business coziness with a fridge and stove and spacious offices. In my old workplace, you can’t miss it – signs of science and engineering and medicine are everywhere, on those floors high above the city. There was an extra thrill built into working there, in labs with windows that looked out onto the skyscrapers and the lake.
do you see the couple in the water? bride and groom getting their pictures taken!
Most of all, of course, I missed my friends. In reality, the energy that I was embracing can get old after awhile ~ car horns and sirens and bus exhaust and squeezing into tightly packed trains. I certainly had grown a bit tired of all the concrete and crowds after 6.5 years. But really, the city environment is just a backdrop for the place where so many of my friends are, and memories with those friends. It was just so great to see them all again and make some new memories over a few days.
Joffrey Ballet ~ I took dance classes there!
I could see the dancers doing their barre routine when I walked by
I was never very sad about leaving my old job ~ the environment, yes, but not the work. I was unsure how much time I’d really want to spend back there. However, on Thursday morning I stopped in, and before I knew it, 7 hours had flown by. There were just so many people to catch up with. So many friends from grad school and my labs and even my former bosses. Work is no longer work when you’re not paid to be there; instead it can just be a social visit, which is much more fun. I even went back the next day for the seminar. I miss seminars! How crazy is that? But the exchange of ideas is so crucial to making progress; that exchange seems to be what fuels my own passion for science.
Of course the majority of my time was spent outside of work. Dinner with my old roommate – so great to catch up. The beer tasting charity event that I helped to plan for years. It has really grown to be an amazing event. I was so excited that tickets sold out! The food and beer selection was fantastic, they had a great band playing, and it all was in a great space. Nothing like drinking good beer with good friends for an evening – some of the same friends from college with whom many such nights have been had. An afternoon walking along the lake and into shops with my husband; another afternoon watching football in a bar with friends . A fabulous night drinking wine on a rooftop with my friends from the lab and talking into the night, about science and life and the future.
photo by Galdones Photography
And now I am back. It is warmer, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am happy to have the green backdrop around instead of the concrete and skyscrapers. Still though, I miss it. Of course I miss it. I miss that sense of community and of belonging. I am sad because I don’t know how long it will be before I see my friends again. I get frustrated because it is so hard to make new friends. I am impatient. But I know I will have to wait awhile before I find that sense of belonging here. In the meantime, I am glad to know I have so many friends and favorite places in a city that is just a quick flight away.







You make ME miss Chicago!
ReplyDelete