17 February 2010

healthy pancake experiment

In my last post, I mentioned that Steve and I concocted some healthy banana pancakes last weekend. Pancake Tuesday was yesterday, so now we're officially in Lent. But if pancakes are healthy, then they don't have to be off-limits, right? ;)



Anyway just thought I'd share the results of our little kitchen experiment. We basically looked at 2 recipes and the stuff we had in the kitchen, and then swapped out some things for healthier options. The result was surprisingly tasty. The oats make them feel hearty, the pecans add a nice crunch, and I'm a fan of the banana flavor - it reminds me a little of banana bread. Here's what we came up with:

2 large eggs
1 cup flour
1.25 old fashioned oats, ground in a food processor
3 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups skim milk
1 T Splenda
1 T brown sugar
1 T vegetable oil
2 small bananas, mashed
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3 T protein powder (the supplement stuff, provided by Steve)

Just mix everything together and cook batter as per usual for pancakes. This made a lot more than we usually get - about 12 good-size pancakes. To see just how healthy these were, I used a recipe calculator ~ per pancake, they come to 180 calories, 8 g fat, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, and 6 g protein. Not to shabby for pancakes! A couple of these makes for a tasty breakfast that sticks with you til lunchtime :)

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh they look so good! And they're healthy?! What could be better! I might have to try making those, I like banana flavour, too.

    I love your blog by the way, and have actually given you a Beautiful Blogger Award over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to get chocolate chip pancakes this weekend. Not very healthy but they sure are good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These sound really delicious. I like the idea of mixing pecans and banana.

    ReplyDelete