11 January 2010

ten goals for twenty-ten

It’s January 11, and I’m just now writing down some goals for the year. Maybe number 1 should be “stop procrastinating”. January 1, January 11 ~ close enough. And hey today’s date is a palindrome! {01.11.10} Does that mean something? Anyway. Here are some things I’d like to work on, in addition to the procrastination thing:

Keep up my new improved level of fitness; push myself improve further by running another half marathon with updated time goal, and work on much-neglected upper body strength. Specifically my husband has challenged me to get myself to be able to do “10 in 2010” – referring to pull-ups. Yikes!! Right now I can’t do any, so this is a big challenge for me!




[one of husband's Christmas gifts this year. it's hanging on the doorway in the office, taunting me every time I walk by. good visual reminder to get myself to work out my arms...]



Eat less processed food. In other words ~ cook more! I'm really bad about this during the week... hard to find motivation to cook when it's just me.

Start a retirement account. We have lots of joint savings/investments, and my work doesn’t do any matching so I haven’t ever really felt the need to get my 403B set up. But I really need to get an account going in my own name.



[somehow a Roth IRA doesn't seem as cute!]


Get published!!!! The paper I wrote based on my master’s thesis has been “in preparation” for a year and a half now. This one is *not* the fault of my procrastination; my advisor is the one who’s been sitting on it. But I need to push him to get this submitted fast – considering I just attended a meeting where another lab is working on something really similar, I need this to get done ASAP.

Donate stuff to charity. We have lots of stuff that we don’t use any more. I should give it away to organizations that can pass it on to people who need these things.

Spend less time stressing out about how I don’t know what to do with my life or how I can possibly figure it out, and more time asking God to help me figure it out.

Keep up the good stuff from last year ~ volunteering, church women’s group, and of course, writing!

Host a party! I need to just pick a date and send out an invite. That will give me a deadline to actually do  the fun party planning stuff.



[wine and cheese party would be fun!]

Travel to a new location. This is another goal that I want to keep up every year.. like how exercise/diet always seems to show up in new year’s goals.

Finish the wedding album!! Which brings us back to procrastination, and how I need to do less of it ;)


[well I have been working on this one for awhile... turns out making my own album is pretty time consuming!]

Alright, that’s ten for twenty-ten. The engineer in me likes my goals to be really quantifiable, and I think most of these are – just a few vague ones like the processed food and stressing about the future. But you need a few of those to leave some wiggle room, right? ;) Does this sound like a plan for a good year?

No comments:

Post a Comment