To compensate for the relatively expensive (in my budget) purchase, I also pushed myself to accomplish one of my twenty-ten goals: I opened a Roth IRA account and transferred money over. It’s something I’ve meant to do for awhile, knowing that it’s important to have a retirement account – but for some reason, it always seemed really complicated. I can handle some pretty complex math, but I don’t do super well with complicated financial stuff. Budgets - sure, just make a pretty excel spreadsheet. No-load mutual funds vs. ETFs - huh?? In talking to my girl friends, it seems I am not alone. These friends are also highly intelligent with professional degrees, but there is something about investment jargon that makes it like a foreign language to us.
I get annoyed a stereotypes that portray women as flighty and financially incompetent, spending lots of money on frivolous items without any awareness of their financial situation (à la Shopaholic
I’m fortunate in that I have my own personal tutor though, since my husband has a big interest in the stock market and investing. He frequently talks to me about different techniques and asks my opinion, and I try my best to understand what he is talking about :) Sometimes it seems like I need him to explain this stuff twenty times before I actually catch on to what it means. Again, I don’t know why – just seems like a missing loop in my brain that has trouble making the connections. But luckily he is patient :)
For the IRA account, I sat attempting to navigate through some complicated and non-user friendly webpages with way too many technical terms for awhile, and got frustrated. Then I decided to use my resources to the best of my abilities, so I asked my husband. He explained the difference between mutual funds and ETFs, and pointed me towards Tradeking, an online site that has some of the cheapest rates for transaction fees. Thanks honey! If you want to know more details about this stuff - I don’t consider myself a good source of this info, since I’m clearly not an expert. But a couple years ago Suze Orman had a free download of her book Women and Money
So now I have my very own retirement account, ready to grow my money. And tomorrow I should have a new laptop, and I’ll be ready to crank out blog posts every day! Well… maybe, if a new laptop somehow adds an extra 3 - 4 hours to each day ;)
stumbled on your blog somehow... just wanted to say that your blog header is really cute. :D cheers!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it annoying how difficult tax laws and such are to understand?! I wish that I could have learned about everything in little doses throughout school rather than stuck trying to figure things out once I started full-time work. Kudos to you for getting on top of everything and coming up with a plan!
ReplyDelete